- Unplug unused appliances and stow the cords away safely.
- Appliances that generate heat should be given a few inches of clearance, allowing for good air circulation.
- Don't attempt amateur repairs on electrical appliances unless you're entirely sure of what you're doing.
- Keep all electrical appliances away from water. Similarly, don't operate anything electrical with wet hands.
- Check electrical cords regularly for fraying.
- Don't use cords as rope or line. This results in unfortunate accidents.
- Plug cords firmly into outlets. Weak contacts can cause problems.
- Block unused outlets with plastic caps.
- Don't overload outlets with multiple adapters or junction boxes.
- Don't allow little kids near electrical appliances.
- If devices start giving off mild shocks, have them inspected or replace them.
- Replace switches that flicker or get hot.
- Know where your main panel is.
- Don't try to repair things on your own unless you've been certified.
Here are some indications that you might need your wiring looked at:
- someone in your house is shocked
- you have to plug many appliances into one outlet
- lights flicker or dim
- switch plates and plugs get hot
- unusual burning smells (never a good thing)
- plugs aren't fitting into outlets
- fuses and circuit breakers blow
- you use extension cords on a permanent basis